Top 5 Carpet Care Tips
Carpeting your home is an expensive investment. So, you want to get the most for your money, right? The number one thing you can do to make your carpets last year after year is to keep them clean!
Cleaning your carpets is a simple and affordable way to eliminate hidden dust and allergens. Regular carpet cleaning by a professional carpet cleaning service also keeps your carpets looking their best and extends their useful life, so you won’t have to spend a ton of money to replace your carpets any sooner than necessary.
Our top 5 carpet care tips are:
- Vacuum your carpets weekly – More frequently is great, but if you let your carpets go un-vacuumed longer than a week, all the dust, grime, food crumbs and other dirt get grinded into your carpet. This also allows bacteria, mold and other yucky stuff to start growing in your carpet!
- Maintain your home’s air circulation system – Believe or not but the air that circulates through your home is critical to keeping ALL surfaces in your home clean, including carpets. And since carpets keep and hold dust, they are more susceptible to the dust filtering through your home than other, hard surfaces.
- Take your shoes off – Whenever you are inside, take off your shoes. Dirt, germs and other bad stuff you pick up outside your home are directly transferred to your carpets if you wear your street shoes inside the house!
- Use care when cleaning spilled liquids – Spills are inevitable …. Kids, pets, clumsy husbands (and his sloppy friends), etc. …. You will have liquids spilled on your carpets. The thing to remember is DON’T OVERUSE DETERGERENTS. The best way to clean up spots caused by spills is to clean them immediately with warm water and a gentle dishwashing soap. First, just blot the affected area. Don’t use too much soap; just wet a clean rag in a solution of warm water and blot the affected area.
- Have your carpets cleaned by a professional at least once a year – “The main reason to have your carpets cleaned annually is for your health and well being,” says Gady Bootz of Carpet Cleaning Portland. “Dust mites, spores, bacteria, mold; almost all visual spots on your carpets, and many you can’t even see, contain unhealthy residue that can represent health problems.”
Tips for hiring a professional carpet cleaning service:
- Before you hire a carpet cleaning service, check the status of the company online. Get a written contract with the total price and guarantee the cleaning company offers.
- Reputable carpet cleaners will agree to come back to your home if stains reappear again after they leave!
- Take a few steps to prepare your home for the carpet cleaners to help reduce cleaning time and return your carpets to normal use sooner. Move furniture out of the way, remove small items and breakables from tables and floors and empty carpeted areas as much as possible.
- Vacuum all carpeted areas thoroughly before your carpet cleaner arrives.
- Note areas that require special attention. Point out any problem areas, spills, spots or pet stains.
- Be open about issues with your carpets; don’t try to hide stains or problems you know about in order to try and save money. Says Bootz of Clean Carpets USA of Portland, Oregon; “in the long run, being open and honest with your carpet cleaner will help ensure you get the best value.”
Leave a Comment